Japan National Health Insurance



The Japan National Health Insurance scheme is mandatory by the Japanese government for Japanese citizens and any non-Japanese (including students) residing in Japan with a medium-long term visa. Short-term students must apply for medical insurance in a private company or travel agency in their home country before leaving for Japan.

 Patients must show the insurance card at every doctor’s visit. The National Health Insurance covers 70% of the medical bills, while the insurer will be charged of the remainder.

All medium or long-term students should enroll in the National Health Insurance system as soon as they arrive in Japan.  

Without national health insurance cover patients will be charged of 100% of medical bills, which may have severe consequences on a student budget. That’s why we highly recommend the National Health Insurance for our long-term guests for a safe and secure stay in Japan. 


Applicants must go to the city/ward/village office for residence registration (住民登録), so it may be more convenient to fill out the application on the same day. People must join the national health system by end of the second week from becoming eligible, including changing of employment status or moving from another municipality. Those who don’t register may be charged for back payments.

Insurance premiums are calculated on income so students with little or no income will pay the lowest premiums, though for working holiday visa holders, as their income is boosted by their wage, the rate may be higher. Annual National Health Insurance premiums are divided into 10 installments which can be easily paid at any convenience store or by automatic bank payment

Patient can't benefit from National Health insurance when:

He/she failures to follow doctor’s instructions, or intentionally inflict injury to themselves (included injuries resulting from drunkenness, fights, crime or suicide).

His/her visa is touristic.

He/she demands for treatment unrelated to illness (health examinations, preventative medical services, cosmetic surgery, orthodontic works, normal child delivery/abortion for economic reasons, etc.).

He/she gets injured at work (treatments should be covered by worker’s compensation or by the employer insurance).

No Comments Yet.

Leave a reply